With almost 3000 NDIS providers out there in Victoria alone, choosing the right NDIS provider in Victoria can be difficult. How do you know which one is the best for your needs? This article will help to make things clearer and easier for you.
We explore the following steps:
· Difference between a registered and unregistered NDIS provider
· The services you need
· Services that require a registered provider
· Commitment to supported people
After looking through this information, you should find it easier to identify the best NDIS provider for your needs.
The difference between a registered and unregistered NDIS provider
First step is understanding the difference between the two. In case you didn't know, there are registered and unregistered providers. Both enable the supported person to access their supports through their NDIS plan. Both are required to comply with the NDIS Code of Conduct.
If an NDIS provider wants to become registered, they register through the Australian government body called the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. By registering, it can be argued that the provider is more accountable for the quality of their services.
On the NDIS commission website it says, "registration can provide some assurance to NDIS participants that the NDIS provider’s services and supports meet the level of quality and safety stated in the NDIS Practice Standards".
It is suggested for peace of mind, the first step for choosing the right NDIS provider in Victoria is to choose one that is registered.
What services do you need?
The second step is understanding the services you need and where you can get them. By checking with a provider, you can narrow the choice down. This can make things a little easier.
The most common services are:
· Core Supports
· Supported independent living
· Support coordination
· Respite care
· Specialist disability accommodation
There are other services you may want to receive as well. These can include complex care, therapeutic support, or cleaning and garden maintenance.
Some services can only be provided by a registered NDIS provider. Let's have a look at those.
Services that require a registered NDIS provider
When choosing the right provider for your needs, there are some supports and services only a registered provider can offer.
On the NDIS Quality and Safeguards commission website it says that an "NDIS participant whose plan is self-managed or plan managed must only use registered NDIS providers for the following supports or services:
· specialist disability accommodation
· supports or services during which there is or is likely to be a need to use a regulated
· specialist behaviour supports that involve undertaking behaviour support assessment of the participant or developing a behaviour support plan for the participant.
It's important to do a thorough checklist to ensure you're getting the best services and supports for your needs.
The organisation's attitude towards supported people
After you've looked into the core services the provider offers, it's good to see what else the organisation does to demonstrate its commitment to supported people.
Look for things like:
· Ways the provider matches the support worker to the individual
· Ways the provider is protecting staff and supported people from Covid-19
· Ways the provider assists the supported person to achieve set goals
· Dedication to upholding human rights
· Creative programs offered
· Community involvement
· Supported holidays
This all contributes towards being a quality provider. It helps increase the individual's self-confidence and independent living skills in order for them to live a fabulous life. It's what you need as part of your NDIS plan.
For a trusted NDIS provider in Victoria, you're in the right place.
Here's a great video of supported people at Melba being involved in the community.
Melba Support is a trusted NDIS provider
It can all be quite overwhelming trying to find the right provider, which is where Melba Support can step in to help you. We offer a broad range of services and supports, and assist you to access them.
Our key services:
· Helping you access the NDIS
· Support coordination
· Core supports
· Respite for adults and children
· Individualised Support Arrangements (ISA)
· Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)
· Supported Independent Living (SIL)
Melba also has many innovative services and programs that go above and beyond.
· Arthur Creative studio for supported people to do programs
· Community Connections programs to assist in achieving goals
· Yarra Ranges in a box program where supported people put together fresh produce
· Able Bakehouse with our own all abilities registered kitchen
· Harvest Collective program growing vegetables for a local school canteen
· and more
Melba also has a dedicated Practice, Quality and Safeguards team to keep supported people safe, help them understand their rights, support them to give feedback, make their own choices, and more.
With all the different support services available at Melba, people with disability can live a fabulous life, achieve their goals, and grow their independent living skills.
Join the hundreds of supported people who are living and loving life with Melba.
For more information and to discuss your plan and goals, contact us today.